INTRALOT AWARDED THE LICENSE FOR THE OPERATION OF MALTA' s STATE LOTTERY
INTRALOT, following an international tender and two years of negotiations, was awarded the exclusive 8- year license to operate all State Lottery games in Malta.
For this project INTRALOT has established MALTCO LOTTERIES LIMITED, in which it owns a 73% stake, while high profile local businessmen own the remaining 27%. The license operation fee reaches the amount of €18.5m.
Mr John Dali, the Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs of Malta, commented: ”With this agreement I believe that there will be greater efficiency in the running of local gaming and, most importantly, there will be more control on illegal gambling, providing more income for the state. During the two-year long negotiations a lot of experience was gained and there was consensus among all interested parties.“
Mr Constantinos Antonopoulos, CEO of INTRALOT, stated: “We are very happy for this license and we are committed to deliver added value to all MALTCO’s stakeholders. For the conclusion of this award there was a strong dedication from the government and all the participants and they all have put a lot of effort. Nevertheless, I must admit that the Government of Malta was a very demanding negotiator.”
INTRALOT, through its subsidiary MALTCO, will install an on-line network of CORONIS terminals connected to INTRALOT’s LOTOS central system, from which the games will operate. The company will upgrade the current Lotto and Instant games, offered until now by the Public Lotto Department and will introduce sports betting games, KINO and other numerical games, all of which are expected to boost the company’s sales significantly. Moreover, the company plans to offer these games through alternative networks. Operations are expected to begin within 1H2004.
INTRALOT is engaged in the development of integrated gaming systems and provides multiple services related to the design, development, operation and support of games. Based on its extensive know how, advanced product development specifications and substantial experience in organizing and operating lottery games, INTRALOT can offer its clients custom-made integrated solutions, which ensure maximum efficiency and absolute security. Following a highly successful period of rapid growth, INTRALOT is ranked 3rd in revenues and 2nd in profits, based on 2002 financial results, among lottery suppliers worldwide, and maintains a steady course towards the leading position in the global market. Today the company has secured an important position in the European and South American markets while is expanding its presence in North America and S.E. Asia.